Friday, October 12, 2012

5 ways to use yoghurt for better health and taste

Travelling to Greece has been a revelation for my taste buds. I am still counting the awesome things I learnt cooking and eating in the phenomenal country! but most exciting learning has been on account of something so omnipresent and basic that  it is invisible! No, I am not talking about God - I am talking about Yoghurt!

I have been brought up with yoghurt, curd or dahi as it is called, in India. It is eaten in different forms – as raita with meals, with sugar for good luck and as an accompaniment with aalloo parantha which may be described as stuffed bread. 

But in Greece, I found yoghurt is used on whole different level. Although, being force fed yoghurt by my parents, it was only after my visit to Greece that I realised that yoghurt can taste good and be enjoyable. I saw how it can be put together with different flavours - sugary, salty, with herbs, olives, vegetables - to add richness, nutrition to your diet. 

Here are a few things you can do with yoghurt yourself:

  1. Alternative to Mayo and Sour Cream: I love Mayo and I love sour cream but strained yoghurt with a little salt is a perfect alternative for to these high calorie options. It add volumes of tastes to whatever it is you are eating - over the chips to replace sour cream, in a tortilla wrap as a filling. Just replace yoghurt with your high calorie sauces!
  2. v  Dips - Yoghurt with herbs like coriander, parsley, mint, little salt and garlic powder is a perfect dip to be had with flat breads, chips, cream crackers. You can create different ones by adding nuts, olives, chopped onions, tomatoes etc. Get innovative and create your own dips to be had with a piece of bread or as a spread on toasts! The list is really endless, but you get the point
  3. Salads - I am not a salad person. Trust me - I would rather fast than eat a bowl of vegetables or salad leaves but yoghurt can add the moisture, richness, texture and taste to make every salad bowl memorable. Try boiled potato salad with yoghurt mixed in garlic powder or the Beetroot salad 
  4. As a desert with honey - What a palette cleanser and treat for senses is the simple desert - yoghurt and honey can be. A spoonful of yoghurt and a teaspoon of honey is all you need to finish a great meal! Trust me it keeps it healthy and tasty. This when coupled with joy without lack of guilt of having gulped in unhealthy calories is priceless.
So strain that yoghurt or buy simply some Greek style and keep innovating to enjoy different tastes of yoghurt!

No comments: